Mar 11, 2012

A Bit Of A New Direction

One of the things that had bothered me about this car was the lack of a magneto.  Earlier in this blog I had written that I wanted to put this car close to how a racer would have looked in 1922/23.  Hard to do without a magneto to run the coils

I had talked to some that suggested a 12v convertion to amp up the power to the coils.  That was not satisfactory at all to me.  In fact, it seemed to move me away further from my goal

Then this showed up.  A Matco magneto conversion.  It utilizes a Bosch DU4 magneto.  It mounts to the front of the engine.  Further, most of these take the place of the Generator.  This one allows you to retain the generator, and still have a mag - a nice hot one!

Someone took a look at this for me and said - good luck finding a drive gear.  Ack!  Did not think of that.  Turns out Langs had one, whew.  Then I find out it takes a special nut.  A special nut??  A you kidding.  That will turn out to the be the biggest adventure.  But for now, here it is.  Aint it purdy?!